Android App Update! Would You Rather Kids v1.2

Hello there travellers.

It's been quite a while since my last post (and update to my app!). Looking back these last 5 months, I feel like what I've been doing can be summarized into 2 things. Minecraft and K-Drama's! I couldn't get enough of both of them, which put my android learning experience on a bit of a hiatus unfortunately.

But, no more! My hunger to dabble in Android development has resurfaced. And to satiate that hunger, I decided to push out new update to my Would You Rather Kids android app. The goal I set for this update is to allow users to choose their own theme.

In order to render my theme selection activity, I used a combination of GridLayout, CardView and ImageView (along with a ScrollView of course). The structure looked as follows:


<ScrollView>

 <android.support.v7.widget.GridLayout>

  <android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

   <ImageView/>

  </android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

  <android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

   <ImageView/>

  </android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

  <android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

   <ImageView/>

  </android.support.v7.widget.CardView>

 </android.support.v7.widget.GridLayout>

</ScrollView>



After the user makes a selection, I'd store a reference to that theme in the SharedPreferences. When the main activity is displayed, it reads the theme to be rendered from that S.P.


All in all, it took a couple of hours over the course of this week to string things together. I think my main takeaway point from this update, was how to add scrollbars to various layouts. It's super simple with ScrollView, but it actually took me quite a bit of googling to find that out. Also, be sure to name your resource Id's appropriately! It'll go a long when building larger applications. I follow the pattern of <xml name>_<object name>_<description>. eg: "content_theme_image_view_red_blue".

If you haven't given my app a download yet, please do (by clicking on image below) or going to URL https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.faraazs.wouldyouratherkids, I really appreciate it :) 


Looking forward to the next challenge and the next thing to learn! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Context Switching is killing your productivity at work

Integrating Code Syntax on a Blog or Website.